Durban FilmMart Institute is the business hub of the African Film industries in a world where African film Industry professionals and products are globally competitive and celebrated.
The mission of the Durban FilmMart Institute is to provide appropriate and effective programmes and services in order to promote, support and facilitate investment in the African film industries, so that African film industry professional and products are competitive and celebrated globally.
The Durban FilmMart aims to:
- Raise the visibility of projects from the African Continent and create networking opportunities with potential co-producers and other industry partners.
- Facilitate funding for promising projects and accelerate the financing of participating projects through transnational cooperation.
- Stimulate the production of African content and promote international co-production opportunities.
- Encourage project collaboration between African filmmakers.
- Act as a feeder stage for established co-production markets across the globe.
History and Background
Based on a Feasibility Study and the approval of City of the Durban Council to fund the Durban FilmMart, the Durban Film Office (DFO) and the Durban International Film Festival (DIFF) entered into a Memorandum of Agreement to collaborate in the development and the implementation of the Durban FilmMart (DFM) in 2010. The DFO and the DIFF continued the partnership to steer the implementation of the DFM programme for 10 years.
In 2020 the City of Durban Council approved the registration of the Durban FilmMart Institute (DFMI) with an independent board governing the non profit company. The inaugural board of the DFMI is comprised individuals from national film industry bodies. The Durban FIlmMart Institute will grow and develop the Durban FilmMart programme and expand its offering to filmmakers in Durban, South Africa and Africa.
Board of Directors
Jacintha de Nobrega (Chairperson)
Download Annual Reports: